Last night in the middle of the night I got up to go to the bathroom, and when I stood up the whole world seemed to go topsy turvey! It was the strangest feeling of vertigo I've ever had. When I got up this morning it was still there, so I called my midwife to make sure it wasn't a pregnancy "red flag". She had me come in and do some blood work, and she listened to the baby's heart beat for a while to make sure he was okay (he's fine). Then she said, "And I would strongly suggest that you go home and lie down for the rest of today."
I was like, "BEDREST?!"
And then she said, "You may want to consider stopping work altogether."
I think my head almost exploded. Stop work? And stay in bed? What kind of craziness is THAT?
Luckily, with the wonderful advent of technology, I've been able to be in contact with work today, but it feels so bizarre. There's so much that needs to be done before school starts! And we have football players showing up on Friday, the rest of the fall athletes showing up on Monday, I have furniture that needs to be inventoried and moved, students that need to be assigned housing, deposits that need to be processed, meal plan quirks that need to be sorted out....
In other words, there is so much that needs to be done!
I think I'm going to have to compromise a little on this. Maybe just partial days, or just "take it easy" days. I don't have enough sick time to stop completely right now, so I'll have to think of something.
Oy vey. But the good news is we figured out what's wrong (I'm anemic) and we're working on fixing that. But still--oy vey.
Big!
5 days ago

oh anemic!! I got really close to that with Kara!! You should deffinantly take it easy, Anemia is nothing to laugh at especially with a baby comming so soon! I know its hard, Taking it easy!
ReplyDeleteI'm anemic and I'm not preggers so I can imagine what a tole it takes on you. I sympathize with your work conundrum but be wise...anemia's pretty rough on you and the baby and you can't put a price on your health or the health of the little one. take it Easy!!
ReplyDeleteOh Em! You are such a going non-stop person, how are you going to do it? Bed rest is something for lazy people like me. :) But seriously, if you need me to watch Tommy, just call me, I am sure Josh would love it!
ReplyDeleteBed rest is the worst! Especially when there really is so much to get done. I was slightly anemic with both my pregnancies...Lots of iron. Or you can cook out of a cast iron skillet (it really works!). But take it easy and realize that people will understand that your health, and especailly the baby's health is more important than work stuff. If not, they're CRAZY!
ReplyDeletei'm sorry emilie...but i'm know where you're at, i'm anemic (was before i ever got pregnant) and it can slow you down. i second the taking iron, it can make a huge difference...but if your more than a little you'd probably want to take more than what you'd usually find at the store. my mom is also anemic and she used to take closer to 1,000 mg, last time i looked at wal-mart they only had ones of about 25 mg each. but if you ever need anything feel free to call, i'm almost always at home and certainly don't mind helping out.
ReplyDeleteoh, and i keep trying to arrange with my new partner to vt but she seems to be constantly out of town...so i figure i'll just bring someone else until i can communicate with her. could you remind me of what your schedule is like?