Sunday, August 22, 2010

Date Night, and other random stuff

As the title suggests, this post is about a bunch o' different stuff. First:

On our anniversary a few weeks ago, Logan and I decided we needed to focus more on dating during the month, as life is just getting crazier and we want to make sure our relationship remains a priority. We picked a date on the calendar, and I was assigned as the first planner of the evening (the idea is for us to take turns). Motivated by my sister Hope's blog about her date night a few months ago, I cruised some websites and decided to do a Parisian-themed evening (a great blog I referenced was Love Actually, which has some fun ideas!).

The evening cost less than us going to a movie, but it was so much fun! To create the atmosphere, I searched online for wallpaper images of Paris, downloaded them, and had a slideshow play on our TV (it's hooked up to our laptop). I downloaded "La Vie En Rose" and two Tango songs from Amazon (about $.99 each), and had them playing in the background. I printed some romantic French phrases and taped them around the living room. Logan knows some French, so it was fun having him teach me how to say each phrase. I borrowed a béret, and had a spread of cheese, eclairs, grapes, and bread, along with some sparkling grape juice. I found some videos online showing how to Tango, and we had so much fun! I also found some French films on Netflix for us to watch, but we decided on an episode of "Moonlighting" instead...not French, but fun :-)

It was nice having a real date! Logan also reminded me that our 2nd date was to the Spring Ball, which had a Parisian theme. I'd completely forgotten! So, extra points for sentimentality. Logan has the next "date night", and I'm pretty curious to see what he comes up with...

Some of the French phrases I put up


Our spread. It doesn't look as romantic without the candlelight...


In other news, Jack is walking! Not consistently, but little by little he's getting better. He is also FINALLY sleeping through the night! (Most nights.) It's been heart wrenching, but with him I had to let him just "cry it out", because he was still waking up two times a night to feed, and he's really too old for that. It took a little over a week, but he's doing it! I'm so happy to get a full night's sleep. He turns 1 next Sunday. I can't believe how big he's getting! Such a cutey :-)




Our garden has been bearing fruit...or rather, vegetables. I made a meal using elements from our garden, and it was really neat to think they grew right in our backyard!
On the left are potatoes, center are cucumbers and tomatoes, and on the right green beans.
Yum!

In other news, my lia sophia business is going great! I've been having a lot of fun lately doing parties and getting pretty jewelry :-) It's also really nice to have a large selection to draw from when I'm going out. Just a bracelet can dress up jeans and a T-shirt, and I like the feeling! My sisters out west need to peruse liasophia.com/emiliedavis and start putting in birthday/Christmas requests...

I can't believe August is almost over! Time is sure flying...

3 comments:

  1. What a great date night activity!! I love how creative you are. I think that creativity gene skipped me! Jack is getting so big,such a cutie too! Once they walk the baby disapears so quickly. I so miss my babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really need to step it up in the romance area! You have inspired me! Thanks! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally got caught up on my blog reading, don't know how I missed this post. I think this is so totally cute! Isn't love actually a fabulous inspiration?!! I love the creative date, sprinkled through more traditional style dating they can really keep things interesting. Since John and I started trying harder to be more creative with our dates our time together has been more consistent and more quality than before. it takes a little effort but we certainly reap the rewards.

    ReplyDelete