
Question: Should Anna have cloth diapers?
I was perusing one of the daily emails I get from baby companies (thebump.com, fitpregnancy, etc.) and an article about disposable diaper prices increasing caught my eye. Ick. I HATE buying diapers. They can turn any modest grocery shopping trip into an expensive trip. Now that Tommy is on the potty training band wagon (wooHOO!) we have significantly decreased our diaper usage, but we're still paying around $60-80/month on diapers. Lately Jack has taken to removing his own diaper whenever he wants. He throws it in the trash, thankfully, but it's making us go through diapers at an unpredictably faster pace.
When my friend Carolena told me they were going to use cloth diapers (almost two years ago), my internal response was, "sounds nice, but too much hassle for me!" What with Logan and I balancing work for me and school for him, disposables seemed way more convenient and hassle free.
But life has changed! I now have more "time" to focus on my kids (a novel concept for a mother), and going through the potty training ordeal with Tommy has made me much less afraid of dealing with the "mess." If I can handle a three year old's messy underpants, I can certainly handle a one month olds itty-bitty messes.
I'm thinking about using bumgenius One-Size cloth diapers. They seem just as convenient as disposables, but with the whole environmentally-friendly side to them. Plus, they're cuuute!
What do you think? Is it worth it? Has anyone else considered this lately?

Yes. As long as I'm living in a place where I have my own washer and dryer, I'm SO using cloth diapers. It's cost efficient and healthier for everyone involved. Just buy lots of liners.
ReplyDeleteIf I had another child I would totally go with cloth! They have come a long way and are pretty easy to clean and use now that they have the velcrow. Everyone that I know that uses them loves them!
ReplyDeleteWe use the Bumgenius ones and love it. I've done my fair share of diapering other peoples kids in disposable and don't feel like it's any harder. The only difference is the laundering. Compared to having to fork out all that money regularly, I'm so glad we did it! And our water bill isn't much higher than it was before. Maybe $50 over 3 months, that may be a high estimate though.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, they sometimes have "seconds" sales on their website. that's how we got most of ours - way cheaper. they don't come with inserts, but we bought microfiber towels and my mom sewed them into 3rds and they fit perfectly!
ReplyDeleteHmmm, I think I might look into switching too! I thought about it before Charly was born but didn't get them because I was going to be working. Now that I'm home with her and diaper prices are skyrocketing I just may reconsider. Let me know what you find out/decide!
ReplyDeleteHave lots of friends who use them and love them.... they're less expensive, easier on baby's skin....etc.
ReplyDeleteI think you should do it!
I'm thinking of switching for the next kid. Seriously, it seems so much more cost effective. We'll see whenever that happens though.
ReplyDeletemy understanding is that they're only less expensive if you use them a long time. so if you don't follow through and use them for, potentially, multiple kids then the cost really isn't an issue. maybe talk with tatiana bennett, i know she started trying to do cloth but ended up switching to disposables. it's tough to calculate cost too b/c you'd also have to increase your water and soap usage. also keep in mind that you can't use any creams with your kids b/c diaper creams can ruin the cloth diapers (so i've been told).
ReplyDeletesorry:) guess i just had to pull in another point of view:)